Monday, July 7, 2014

Assignment 5:  Dyeing

I chose to tie-dye a cotton t-shirt.  Both the t-shirt and the dye kit were purchased at Wal-Mart for a total cost of $9.00 - $3.00 t-shirt and $6.00 dye kit.   
Step 1:  Begin with dye. I selected a store bought kit.

The kit.


2.The t-shirt -100% cotton written on the label.

3.  
 The kit includes a plastic drop sheet and gloves for protection.  Elastics are also included.

4.  Like nearly every project I undertake, I used the kitchen table.  Covered it in plastic and away I go.

5.  
 The water bucket to drench the t-shirt.

6.  
 Mixing the dye solutions (just add tap water).

7.  
 Submerse the t !

8.  
 Begin to swirl the centre of the t - going for the spiral shape end result .... hopefully!  You just never know how this is going to go; also part of the FUN!

9.  
 Completed spiral.

10.  Begin adding elastic bands to section off parts to be tie -dyed.  

11.  Start adding color to the "pieces of the pie".  

 One.

 Two, three,  ...

 Four colours.  Green (mix blue and yellow).

12.  
 Satisfied I added enough color. Let it sit overnight.

13.  
 Undo rubber bands.

14.  
 Rinse in cold tap water.

15.  
 Machine wash before you wear it. 

16.  After it dries.  VOILA!!!!

 GREAT RESULTS!

 COOL DESIGN.

17.  BEAUTIFUL GIRLS ... I mean, tie-dyed shirts :)  

 Models courtesy of Tse Family.  :)  

This tie-dye project worked out better than I anticipated.  Easy to do, bright colours, and not too time consuming.  Would recommend this to anybody wanting to tie-dye. 



Two sources for dying fabrics are:

1.http://www.bestdye.com/Tie-Dye-Instructions.php

2.http://www.favecrafts.com/Tie-Dye/Tie-Dye-Techniques-and-Patterns























7 comments:

  1. Isn't it just funny how all of us managed to engage our family in our projects for this course... it's not a typical family studies course, but we all have somehow made it to include our family or community of family some shape way or form. Your shirts turned out great, and just followed a kit, something our students could easily do. Within our budget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting observation, Storm! I hadn't thought of this until now.

      Delete
  2. Your t-shirts turned out terrific and it's so nice you could use your family. This is an excellent how- to blog posting and teaching tool. Your directions are very clear and concise but more importantly, your inclusion of bright and vivid pictures to support each step making this site so user friendly. Students could definitely use this posting to dabble in the world of tie dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive comments Jodi; perhaps I'll meet you in the cohort this year.

      Delete
  3. I usually do a tie dye session yearly on an exploratory day or something, and I will definitely like to use your blog to instruct. I was so interested in the swirling pie approach- I've never seen that done before and I want to try it. Your shirts came out incredibly and I'm sure your daughters will always remember doing this with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the girls shirts came out great! I also bought a kit and did it with my girls. Storm, you can get big sets of the kits, and tshirts for about $3/each at Walmart, I think it would be manageable for the students. Once you buy the kits, you can buy dye replacements as you would already have the bottles. And I bet many kids would have a tshirt at home they could use, or a pair of socks even? Great activity for fall, as you can move it outside, if the rain lets up, and reduce the amount of necessary clean up.

    Great post Patricia, pictures are such a helpful guide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I was thinking the same thing as Storm - my family had so much fun working on some of this with me. I've only taught textiles 10 once and we attempted tie dye. Patricia, this blog is so helpful and answers a lot of questions I had after I did it the first time. great step-by-step instructions and photos. I didn't even think to use bottles! We boiled everything in pots in the foods lab and then transferred each colour into deep buckets which were awkward to use with a class of 35 and we ended up with a lot of the fabric remaining white. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete