Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Assignment 6:  Discharging colour

I selected a random T-shirt that was about to be recycled to experiment with colour discharge.
I tested BLEACH on the t-shirt ...
 The test proved positive and I decided to              continue. Next I cut out a rectangular piece of this fabric to plan out my color discharge project.
Here are all the supplies I used.  Household bleach (discharge agent), a cup to dip in, pencils (removal approach) to form my shapes, and wooden skewers.  I placed cardboard on the tabletop and worked over it.

 The first sketch.  

Pencil eraser to form dotted pattern.

Skewers to draw lines.
 Making progress.
 Enjoying the moment!  Dipping the pencil eraser in bleach to continue to make flowers.
VOILA!!!  Happy with the end results.  Reminds me of the fireworks for Canada Day.  Bleach worked very successfully in this application.  The tiniest drop will show as a mistake and since this was my first time doing this, I guess practice will help.  Encouraging!!! I might have to try something else :) 

Two sources to teach/learn about colour discharge are:
1.Paula Burch website:   http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/discharge_chemicals.shtml
Paula Burch,  All About Hand Dyeing.
2. Williams, P.  website:   http://www.emich.edu/textiles/PDFs/bleach.pdf


Activity for Grade 7:  
Dye two pieces of cloth (swatches) using two separate mediums, eg. tea, kool aid, or a store bought dye.  Make a chart to compare your results showing before and after to discover which looks the brightest and which worked the best.

Reference:  Burch,P. (2014, July 2).  All about hand dyeing.  Retrieved from http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/discharge_chemicals.shtml

Williams, P.  (2014, July 2).  Discharging dye with bleach.  Retrieved from:   http://www.emich.edu/textiles/PDFs/bleach.pdf 



 










8 comments:

  1. love the bleaching project! Looks like a combination of Asian cherry blossoms and fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your discharge work is incredible. This is a demonstration of your patience! I am so impressed with the work you (and everyone in the class) has put into these projects. Absolutely thrilling! I can read into your posting that you might want to do more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat to see that you incorporated your mistake..trial point of discharge into your design. Cleaver use of a pencil, we have many of those in our classrooms:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right your bleaching work is reminiscent of fireworks. Bleach is so very tricky because the slightest drop where it shouldn't be leaves its trace. For the purpose of a demonstration blog I think it was a great choice to include the little mishap you experienced as it shows how precise and cautious you need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this design would be lovely on a tshirt, certainly takes a steady hand;) There is someone here locally that is making and selling discharged tshirts on one of the facebook buy and sell sites. She is using a sort of stencil and, I would guess, a spray bottle, the effect is similar to the ones I made with the girls. Not a bad little hobby, just incase any of you have extra time on your hands;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! Very doable project with students. I like the control the pencil eraser and skewer give you with the design. I was wondering if you mixed the bleach with water or were using it full strength? And if you could do the whole design before having to stop the bleaching with cold water or had to do it as you went?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be a great project for high school students. It gives them something a little more technical than tie dyeing and much more control over the final design with the chance to play with pattern (or not?) - very cool idea Patricia. Love your "fireworks" pattern :)

    ReplyDelete